The cats are happy to be able to go outside and get away from each other for a while. Attempts at such ventures yesterday lead to two very soggy, ice-encrusted, highly annoyed kitties as we had freezing rain all day. A sunny 40 degree Saturday is a little slice of heaven, with the glorious promise of a balmy 67 Ash Wednesday! In an ironic twist, I don't have classes on Wednesdays and so am free to fully enjoy the beautiful first day of lent.
The spring-esque weather has seen everyone slightly twiterpated. Everyone's been falling in love. Husband Dear and I ran around town doing our errands, squealing like middle schoolers who are everywhere in this town. (They were surprisingly absent from their street corners, stone wall, bakery and coffee shop this morning.)
With the exception of hordes of pre-teens our town is a beautiful place. A quiet german town in West Virginia, bordered on one side by the Potomac river, and the other by the University. Yuppies and Hippies drink their coffee together outside the coffee shop and bakery. You can walk to both libraries, the bank (which sucks, and I need to get a new one, but until then it's nice to be able to walk to go complain to the manager), 7 amazing restaurants, a few adorable, albeit disgustingly overpriced shops, book store, ice cream shop, coffee shop, tea house, the post office and all my classes all within 4 blocks in any direction from my house. There is a farmers market at the end of my block every Sunday morning in the warmer weather; a two block walk from Church. Not bad for a forgotten little town. The only real problem is that there aren't a whole lot of job around here, Graphic Design included. I know of students who graduated two years ago still looking for design positions here: there just isn't a huge need yet. 10 years from now the county will be a suburb of DC. Already it's the most affluent in the state. Until then our town offers little more than waitress or teaching positions. Husband Dear is looking for jobs as University staff as we speak. Then he could walk to work as well as everywhere else!
Okay, I've already blabbered on for longer than I meant to.
No comments:
Post a Comment